Tarun Kumar is a B.A. (Hons) Geography student of Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, University of Delhi, who has been continuously involved in beyond the classroom activities.
Here, Tarun is sharing his experience being a Vice President of World University Service, SBSC and being an Anchoring Coordinator in his department. His hard work has the potential to propel him ahead of the curve.
Go ahead and know what his story has to offer so that you can easily find a path of self-growth. Young Influxers go ahead and upgrade yourself!!!
What was your role? Briefly list the responsibilities associated with it.
- My role in Department was of Anchoring in Seminar, Events, Conferences as I was Anchoring Coordinator in council.
- It was used to be risky at times as stage management needs quick response and things change at last moment leading to confusion.
- A lot of time I got appreciation but many a time it wasn’t also but that pushed me to do better.
- Its the first year of WUS in college. It is a brand new society. I was chosen VP by TIC of society. We did not have a huge team as current situations and procedures in establishment hampered us from recruiting students.
- But that did not hamper us from creating awareness regarding Pandemic and measures to be taken in order to protect oneself through Social Platform.
What’s it like to juggle between leadership roles and academics? Pen down the challenges you faced.
Throughout 3 years, I have been a part of many societies ranging from Environment Society, WDC, NSS etc. It was difficult as the distance of my home from college is too far as well. But I always made sure that my assignments were submitted on time and I was ready for exams/ practicals. A lot of time at the last moment but yes I always gave priority to my academic work. A lot of times I was also engaged in internships and courses which made it quite challenging but Delhi University provides ample time for one to balance things I believe.
What are the top learnings, skills and values that you acquired here?
- Learn from Mistakes
- Time Management (not too confident though …🙈)
- Self Confidence
- Work Coordination
- Reality Check
Do you feel your current role fills you with pride and gratitude? Illustrate how the experience gained will help you going forward.
Of course, for me, both AC and VP positions are important in the final year. But former has been for a long time staring from very first year though I got an official position in the final year. WUS serves and talks about Human rights and was a part of NSS where too I served for 3 years continuously. AC made me live the moment on stage whereas VP made me realize how it feels to act with coordination and not domination.
As when we talk about leadership we have a whole team with us. How do you persuade others to accept your ideas/ways?
- One can’t force an idea on others if that idea is concentrated it should move forward as efforts are needed for success with concentration.
- Build your team with people who are serious about work, working merely for positions or certificate is waste.
- Learn to understand others perspective, as many times emotional bonds work better.
What is your message to students, aspiring the same or a similar role to do?
- Be serious
- Be truthful to the society/department/position
- Hard work speaks.
- Always keep learning from incidences.
- Keep trying
How can we (Friends, Family, YI Fraternity) encourage young students such as yourself to engage with co-curricular or extra-curricular activities?
- UG gives you a lot of exposure, there are so many creative people who just want opportunities and DU is filled to provide you with the same just go and grab them.
- Keep Academics your Priority and ECA second as your major goal has been former at DU mostly.
We at Young Influx would take this opportunity to thank Tarun for taking a leap of faith and sharing his impeccable story. We are humbled and grateful, your efforts mean a lot for the youth seeking growth and development.
And hello, dear readers, we welcome you to explore the platform with an open mind. Help yourself gain most out of the experiences and opportunities listed here.
And before you bid us adieu, we would like you to know that you can read more such student stories here.